The perpetrators of such espionage can be people who want to profit from this information, competitors or even foreign governments; and may have purposes as different as labor, personal, sabotage, defamation, threat or to gain a competitive advantage.
- What if those you fear most knew all your private conversations?
- Or what if your competitors could access your most confidential information and anticipate future projects, sales or acquisitions?
- What if your spouse is intercepting your conversations with friends and family?
- Or if you are involved in an international bidding process and are up against companies backed by foreign governments that will try to succeed?
- What if your car is being monitored by an unauthorized GPS tracker?
Is bugging illegal?
Yes, in Spain, the violation of privacy is punishable by up to four years in prison and a fine of twelve to twenty-four months, regardless of the means used. This is stated in article 197.1 of the Penal Code which states:
“Whoever, in order to discover the secrets or violate the privacy of another, without his consent, seizes his papers, letters, e-mail messages or any other documents or personal effects, intercepts telecommunications or uses technical devices for listening, transmission, recording or reproduction of sound or image, or any other communication signal, shall be punished with imprisonment of one to four years and a fine of twelve to twenty-four months.”
What is an electronic sweep?
It is a highly specialized technical service that involves an in-depth technical analysis in security and counterespionage, inside facilities of all kinds such as in companies, hotels, public institutions, meeting rooms, offices, vehicles and in private homes, etc.
Such work must involve countermeasure specialists who audit the technical security of the installation and proceed to perform the sweep with the utmost confidentiality. The specialists will perform radio frequency analysis, telephone line and telephone analysis, power line analysis, non-visible light analysis and a visual inspection among other tests to detect all types of electronic espionage devices such as hidden microphones, voice recorders, hidden cameras, GPS location beacons, etc.
To do so, the technical staff must focus on state-of-the-art technology capable of detecting hidden microphones whether they are transmitting, turned off or disconnected.
That is why we consider that electronic scanning is also a preventive tool that can guarantee your confidentiality and that of your company.
How can Vestigere help you?
If you need to know if you have listening devices, if your phone has been tapped or if there are hidden cameras around you and, if so, to eliminate them, please contact us.
The following steps will be followed to carry out the work:
- Firstly we will carry out an environmental, telephone and electrical inspection using technical equipment.
- Secondly, we will carry out a physical search, reviewing and dismantling all the places likely to hide a listening/video device for the detection of possible evidence of previous installations.